Forum: Suggestion Box

Subject: Gallery filters on nudity, profanity, violence tags - why not an AI tag ?

3dcheapskate opened this issue on May 03, 2023 ยท 22 posts

Byrdie posted Sat, 01 July 2023 at 10:57 AM

There are as many definitions of art as there are individuals on this planet. It keeps changing with every newly discovered/invented means of creation and I do not foresee anyone arriving at or agreeing upon the One True Meaning of what constitutes "Art". Personally I don't think duct taping fruit to walls and the like is art, but that's just my opinion. When some Big Name Artist starts -- or admits to, because no doubt some of them are experimenting already -- using AI as part of their workflow, will those images suddenly become art in the eyes of all the naysayers? If we are judging the worthiness of a thing by the tool used to make it, we are not judging the work on its own merit or any lack thereof, we are simply judging the tool. Me, I prefer to judge the overall image, not the means by which it was arrived at, before deciding if it's Capital-A-Art or just another bit of "content". Your mileage may vary.

And yes, that does mean there might yet come a time when somebody will use duct tape and fruit to make something worthy in my opinion of the "Real Art" label. If so, I'll be the first to admit I was wrong.  :-)