Forum: The Break Room

Subject: Honestly, what do YOU think of AI "art"

rokket opened this issue on Feb 06, 2023 ยท 35 posts

DarkElegance posted Fri, 14 July 2023 at 3:23 AM

Warlock279 posted at 4:14 PM Thu, 18 May 2023 - #4465724

Crystal46 posted at 12:42 PM Thu, 18 May 2023 - #4465700

I know this comment is going to be misunderstood but I am going to say it anyway. This image is something I made after studying AI for about 2 weeks.

I always wanted to be a 3D artist but could never get the hang of 3D.  I have been loving and admiring all of you who can create amazing 3D since 2007 when I joined Renderosity.  Fast forward to 2023, and I can create art that rivals any 3D artist with a few clicks of a mouse because of AI. I realize that AI still has a long go. For example, AI has mastered the human face but still makes horrible hands and extra body parts sometimes on the subject.  With 3D, the artist controls every detail of the image.  With AI, you are at the mercy of the computer.  You have to keep entering prompts over and over until you are satisfied.  Writing good prompts is the skill.  With that said, I love AI because now I can play with you guys on your level. 

I'll do my best to be polite.

The lighting and overall aesthetic are nice. It would make a solid pre-vis, style guide, or concept image.That said ...

"...mastered the human face..." has it tho? The dude in the grey suit [left side of the picture on the monitor] ... is wearing his face backwards! Backwards! Ooph!

Also peculiar the display doesn't fill the monitor. At first I was willing to pass it off as a "slideshow" type app, but you know what, there's an awful lot of docked icons at the bottom for that.

There are somewhere between, 200 and far-too-many-to-count-keys on that keyboard, thereisnospacebartho.

The left edge of the desktop deteriorates into ... well I'm not even sure, we'll call it a touch of surrealism. The right edge of the desktop is a bit wonky as well. Its a mix of solid and hollow that probably couldn't work in the real world.

The back of the left side of the desk where the drawers meet the wall isn't correct. At the bottom where you have the light and the floor board, that indicates a fairly sizable gap between desk and wall, at the top however, the tightness of the shadow indicates a very narrow gap.

You've got two handles on one drawer on the right side. The drawers on the left side have a clear protrusion from the front face on the left, but are flush at the right edge.

Reflections on the desktop seem alright, except the apple logo, and the black label on the one candle, that reflection clearly isn't correct.

The reflections in the picture on the wall shows a double pillar in the window, but there's only a single pillar. Its reading as "this is supposed to be a reflection, play along please" rather than an actual representation of the "space" its reflecting.

The whole desk in general is pretty odd, there's little to no signs of or way it could possibly have been assembled [short of superglue and will power?].

Reflections on the desktop seem alright, except the apple logo, and the black label on the one candle, that reflection isn't correct. The reflections in the picture on the wall shows a double pillar in the window, but there's only a single pillar. It generally reads as "this is supposed to be a reflection, play along please" rather than an actual representation of the "space" its reflecting.

That candle on the right side is doing all kinds of strange, we'll throw that in the surrealism category.

Some of those flowers are pretty suspect. Left bouquet, there are at least two that are pretty indistinct "swirls".

The chair is missing a leg. That should be a five leg base [based on the positions of the four in the image], and while you could make the argument that the fifth would be [mostly or entirely] occluded by the center post, cause, you'd be right it probably would be, you should still see the caster and its interaction [shadow/reflection] with the floor.

Those are the things that jump out to me at first glance. We'll ignore some of the general amorphous ambiguity of some of the "pictures" in the image and chalk that up to being them "abstract" or visual representations of "lorem ipsum".

"Fast forward to 2023, and I can create art that rivals any 3D artist with a few clicks of a mouse because of AI." Honestly and simply put ... no you can't. I feel like that statement is an over reach at best, as you admit, "... AI still has a long [way to] go." At worse, its borderline demeaning and offensive [I'm sure you didn't intend it as such].

Replacing your arm with an air cannon, doesn't make you a major league pitcher. Personally, I see more merit in what you might consider "a lesser quality image" that someone who is struggling with/learning the process might produce than hitting a "make art button".

If you want to continue down the AI road, and there's nothing wrong with that if that's what makes you happy, I would suggest a bit more effort/focus on post work. At least some of the things I listed, would be pretty minor/easy things to clean up in post, would elevate the image quality significantly, and make it less obviously AI generated.

I am just going to sit in my chair and clap.

Thank you

https://www.darkelegance.co.uk/

Commission Closed till 2025