Forum: The Break Room

Subject: Honestly, what do YOU think of AI "art"

rokket opened this issue on Feb 06, 2023 · 35 posts

DarkElegance posted Sat, 22 July 2023 at 4:53 PM

Crystal46 posted at 12:42 PM Thu, 18 May 2023 - #4465700

I know this comment is going to be misunderstood but I am going to say it anyway. This image is something I made after studying AI for about 2 weeks.

I always wanted to be a 3D artist but could never get the hang of 3D.  I have been loving and admiring all of you who can create amazing 3D since 2007 when I joined Renderosity.  Fast forward to 2023, and I can create art that rivals any 3D artist with a few clicks of a mouse because of AI. I realize that AI still has a long go. For example, AI has mastered the human face but still makes horrible hands and extra body parts sometimes on the subject.  With 3D, the artist controls every detail of the image.  With AI, you are at the mercy of the computer.  You have to keep entering prompts over and over until you are satisfied.  Writing good prompts is the skill.  With that said, I love AI because now I can play with you guys on your level.  

Ok I took time to step back before replying to your post specifically.
I understand the desire to post work. Its what drove me to switch from traditional mediums to digital. I wanted so badly to create some really interesting things.

But here is the difference....
You are giving "prompts". -you-...arent doing any of the work.
You are not tweaking out the lights, then adjusting shadows.
You aren't working on getting the reflection and refractions correct.
You aren't learning the different camera settings, the DOF, the angles, focal length, etc.
You aren't working on how the textures work.

Our computers are not doing the work for us, they are doing things we -manually- adjust. We spend YEARS working on learning how to do something, working on how to accomplish a specific effect. We spend years, learning how to texture something, how to get the light right to catch just the edge of a figure, we work years on how to pose a figure so that it doesnt look wooden. We learn about how cloth drapes and hangs. We learn about how best to set up a scene to capture just the right amount of the scene and enough to capture the imagination.

Our computers...do not have a "create art button"....but that is what you are using. You are giving a prompt of(something like) "Studio office, sunny day, glass desk top, day time, reflective surface, city" and the AI ENGINE….is making the scene.

You....didnt.

Some of us here have been studying and working and learning for over 20 years….and you have given a few prompts to an AI engine that did the work.

I know it sounds harsh…as harsh as it's been for many of us for years getting accused of doing what you ARE doing.

None of us, have some magic button in our programs that just POOF makes a picture. Each of us that work in 3d, or digital painting(which most of us do in combination to our 3d work)  work bloody hard to get the results we do. To grow. To improve.  To learn things like anatomy, so we know how an arm is supposed to move or how it will bend when holding something.

(because is rarely is there any pose package that gets tiny, little, tweaks just right for every single instance a pose may be used. Something as simple as how the fingers flex when it comes into contact with a hard surface can change how a pose looks.)

You have no concept of what it is like to spend decades working on a skill, a craft...to see something just do it in seconds with just a few "prompts"....

No, what you are posting, is not the same. It's not YOUR work..it's the AI engine's work.
There is…a difference.

https://www.darkelegance.co.uk/

Commission Closed till 2025