Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: I can't be alone...

mescorp opened this issue on Aug 11, 2023 ยท 46 posts

3D-Mobster posted Fri, 11 August 2023 at 9:26 PM

I think a lot of what is being said here is true. As Twiztidkidd mentioned having to pay 250$ for the program when there are free alternatives out there, is automatically going to be an issue for a lot of creators. There are a lot of marketplaces now besides Daz and Poser, you also have Unreal and Unity and a lot of others. Each requires you as a content creator to "prepare" and design your product for these, what goes in Poser and Daz, is not going to fly in Unity or Unreal. So someone that is new to content creation and wants to give it a try will look at these different options and a 250$ price tag is just not all that attractive. So that there is a decline in content creators for Poser, I think is rather logical, as some long-time creators might want to try to make content for other applications or they might simply stop altogether due to whatever reasons. But these are not getting replaced by new ones.

Another mistake Poser has made for a very long time is that they have neglected to release high-quality figures. Why they have done this is a complete mystery to me, when the whole program is based around this.

The honest truth is that Poser simply isn't worth the price they are asking in today's world when the internet is booming with free programs, which now include AI tools. Another big issue with such a price model is that they need both content creators and users to agree. If only one part decides to upgrade, they are somewhat screwed and therefore you end up with a user base, where some use Poser 9 while others Poser 13 and everything in between. I don't think that is particularly beneficial for anyone in this circle of users, creators and developers.

Another big issue is that there are too many different figures, so the majority of content will go to the most popular ones and the rest will be neglected. As a content creator myself, it takes pretty much the same time to create an outfit for one figure as it does another, so obviously you will either choose the one you like yourself or the one that you believe will sell the most. And the truth is that if the Poser figures are not popular enough, hardly anyone will care to make stuff for them for very long.

As I see it, especially since AI has entered the picture and let's just be honest about it. It is steamrolling forward at such an insane speed, that I don't think anyone knows where it will be in a year or two. They have to reconsider Poser's role in the future because, this approach they are using now, I don't think worked at version 9 or 10 and it only seems to get worse, it is simply not competitive or attractive enough, whether you are a user or a content creator.

And in all honesty, depending on where this AI circus is going, there might be a very dark future ahead for both Daz and Poser. They really have to rethink how they can make use of or integrate AI into it.