Forum: Poser 13

Subject: Poser 11 to Poser 13 and best desktop specs for Poser 13

3dkaya opened this issue on Jul 10, 2023 ยท 13 posts

shvrdavid posted Fri, 18 August 2023 at 7:18 PM

I bought a 4070ti for my new system. I was going to get a 16gb 4060ti card, but decided that was not a good option because it isn't for rendering at all. It is a far slower card than the 4070ti, with little price difference compared to the speed gained by the 4070ti. There is a 66 to 70% gain for not much more money.... That is a significant and drastic difference in speed.

My 4070ti has not drawn more than about 260-275 watts (I can monitor draw changes thru my UPS) Rendering doesn't always max it out power wise either, but does max it out compute wise. I think max draw for my GPU is a bit over 290 watts, but it doesn't pull that rendering... My 4070ti runs slightly overclock by default, but no where near as fast as it is capable of.... I see no reason to push it and risk hurting it either... The entire system already scores extremely well in benchmarks.... 

Considering the speed difference between a 4070ti and a 3090ti, there is no reason to even have a 3000 series card that is substantially slower, let alone 2 of them that might not be as fast as a single 4070ti....

A base non overclocked 4070ti is ~40% faster than the best 3090ti card going when using Optix..... Overclocked 4070ti's are even faster, and draw basically half the wattage of a single 3090ti. 3000 series cards can also draw huge power spikes as well, which has caused more than a few people to need way bigger power supplies than you might first think is needed........ As in 1000+ watt supplies with a single gpu.... Two 3090ti's could require 1400 to 1600watts, easily.... That just depends on how much they pull when they spike....

I am running 2 rtx cards (a 2060 and a 4070ti) on a 13th gen system that is loaded out, with a 750 watt power supply.... Yes, a single 750 watt supply, and it works fine.... Do not try that with any high end 3000 series card in the system, it wont work because the spikes that a 3000 gpu draws (sometimes 600+ watts) will shut down the power supply and crash the system.....

You can buy a brand spanking new 4070ti, for far less than a used 3090ti, or a 3080ti for that matter.... Which is more than a bit odd.....

The worst day, power draw wise, with my new system with 2 RTX cards has been 6.1kw.... And depending on where you live, that could get very expensive.... I did lots of renders that day, and some gaming, and some compiling, which is cpu and gpu power intensive...... My system runs 24/7, and averages just under 0.40 cents of juice a day..... Some days far more, some days far less because it sits idle. Turning it off when not in use would save some money, but my electricity is cheap here.... That is not, and wont be the case in many places in the world, where electricity is crazy expensive....

You don't need an I9 to do gpu renders. Any current I3 or I5 will work fine (or low end Ryzen if your prefer AMD). You don't need a 4090 either, because a 4070ti makes a 3090ti look slow, because it is slow compared to any 4070ti....

You don't even need fast DDR 5 ram in the system, because the gpu doesn't use that ram either..........

Build a system that will do the job and not make you go broke in doing so. And more importantly, not spin the meter off the wall in the future.....

I built a 13th gen 13600k I5 system with 64 gig of fairly fast DDR4 memory turned back to 3200 for lower latency settings, with a brand new 4070ti...

For less than the price of a single 3090ti.............. And it renders 40%+ times faster than a 3090ti system ever would.....

You don't need an F1 car to drive to work.... But you would need an F1 car, if you want to run in, and race F1.......

If you are going F1 racing, you already have the budget money and don't really care what expenses are anyway.... F1 controls what you can spend and where anyway....

You do have a choice when rendering and building a system even thou you probably don't have an F1 budget to pay for it, or to keep the lights on.....

Some things are easy to explain, other things are not........ <- Store ->   <-Freebies->