Forum: The Break Room

Subject: Honestly, what do YOU think of AI "art"

rokket opened this issue on Feb 06, 2023 ยท 35 posts

3dcheapskate posted Thu, 14 September 2023 at 5:42 AM

If by AI "art" you mean the AI generated images that people are (sorry, were) posting to Renderosity - some of it's great and some of it's crap. Poser renders on the other hand - some of them are great and some of them are crap. 

If by AI "art" you mean the text to image generation software that actually enables people to create pictures by simply typing in a text prompt, then you really, really ain't seen nothing yet.

If you're one of the artists who scoffs "but AI can't even do hands properly!" then you're absolutely right. For now. But don't forget that only a few years ago text to image generators didn't even exist. For you I'd recommend this Vox video on YouTube - Why AI art struggles with hands - YouTube . 

If you're one of the artists who believes that text to image generator simply steals artists work then I'd recommend this 90 minute Stanford University video on YouTube - Diffusion and Score-Based Generative Models - YouTube (no, I haven't watched it all myself yet - it's way over my head!)

If you prefer shorter videos try the Two Minute Papers - YouTube channel - short videos, usually around five minutes long, highlighting how rapidly "AI" is developing.

The 3Dcheapskate* occasionally posts sensible stuff. Usually by accident.
And it usually uses Poser 11, with units set to inches. Except when it's using Poser 6 or PP2014, or when its units are set to PNU.

*also available in ShareCG, DAZ, and HiveWire3D flavours (the DeviantArt and CGBytes flavour have been discontinued).