Forum: DAZ|Studio

Subject: What's Happening at DAZ?

dbwalton opened this issue on Oct 23, 2020 ยท 76 posts

DocPhoton posted Thu, 14 September 2023 at 11:01 PM

It's interesting the read the history and other experiences.

I quit using their forums last year as frankly it was useless for me to try and get any timely information. Tech Support: Hmmm, they try. They've a Sysiphusian task, caught between management and the programmers. But their arrogance regarding no documentation, which the entire planet apparently knows about judging by youtube postings, is not really excusable.

I use the FBX exporter a lot, and a recent update actually made it worse. The OBJ exporter is rock solid so is truly a Pre-set. Not so with the FBX exporter. You have to check usually reset the options EACH TIME!!!  A real time waster. Have they fixed it?  No. I made comments about that & got censored.  They said I was making "personal attacks".  ??!!?  Interesting, since I don't know anyone to make personal attacks against, nor mentioned any names as I don't know anyone!  I only made comment about the SOFTWARE as it has regressed and gotten worse, AS ANY USER LONG TIME SHOULD!

But the kicker was some months back. I posted a new topic, simply asking about getting a particular product's expressions & morphs to export. I got a reply & replied to that. Checked an hour or so later, and my original posting was gone! I could see the original reply, but any reply I made went into the ether. And then the reply vanished too.

So I guess must be officially persona non grata and didn't know it.  Fine. Don't know, and frankly don't care, not worth my time or effort at this point.

But I still buy their products; they'll take my money but not my questions. ;)

If ya want to talk dinosaurs: Step Right Up!

I export everything out to Lightwave, which is another saga these days. But to do what Daz does with expression morphs, I edit geometry and rename those morphs to get a single control. But the result is that I've a LOT more control over surfacing, lighting, DoF, Motion Blur, etc. A number of other packages can as well of course, but I've a fair amount invested in auxiliary tools (several you can't even get now), & I've gotten my pipeline to where I can handle everything except dForce hair. Blender handles that well, so have to knuckle down & learn Blender.

I'm passing on the Gen 9 stuff too. Gen 9 makes that all the more complicated and so far I've seen very few new characters to make it worth the effort.