Forum: Community Center

Subject: Render Rewards Points!

CHMedia opened this issue on Mar 27, 2023 ยท 108 posts

MyCleverName posted Sun, 08 October 2023 at 2:10 PM

Regarding Renderosity giving away reward points and losing money in the process, you have to remember (or learn in the first place): the effective definition of economics is 'limited resources used efficiently'. Digital files are not a limited resource. Reward Points are not a limited resource. Neither are a finite commodity. And therefore, efficient use is irrelevant. The laws of economics are as steadfast as the laws of physics. They will not be broken easily. So, if a market requires a finite commodity, you need to ask the question, "What IS the finite commodity?" I've asked myself that question, and the answer I keep coming up with is...you. They need persons to create content. They need persons to buy content. They need persons to post free content. They need persons to observe free content. They need persons to be advertised to. And they need a reward structure to incentivize your interest in continuing the process (i.e. a reward beyond mere satisfaction). In brick and mortar retail, the idea is to get people in the store. Because once they're in the store, the odds increase dramatically that they will buy something rather than if they never entered. That's why you get 'free' music, events, book signings, etc. in Barnes & Noble, etal.

Thinking about it anecdotally, "But I never 'buy' anything unless it's free." misses the mark. I suspect that the quiet multitude far outweighs that anecdotal view. Anecdotally speaking, (with extremely few exceptions) I don't buy anything less than 50% off. But my personal frugality is, without a doubt, not a standard.