Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Poser feature dev & improvement wishlist

PoserWorld2019 opened this issue on Nov 08, 2023 ยท 73 posts

AmbientShade posted Thu, 09 November 2023 at 9:12 PM

JustBeCause posted at 6:03 PM Wed, 8 November 2023 - #4477459

For me as for creating poser models on daily basis, there are two things that could be quiet important, preventing having to use P11 for the creations of the models and fully depend on P11 making it even possible to make Poser models. 

2. I do not know if it could be possible, but as we know almost nothing is impossible if there is a will. Making Poser backward compatible with Py 2.7 so that the older essential scripts can be used as there are no replacements for these in P12 and 13 and there will probably never be any as poser seems to have gone through a full reset. Start from scratch. This is for a creator the main reason why he depends on P11  as allot of the scripts developed over decades are essential for a good model creation.

So as Creator somehow just stuck in P11 for rigging and building and may be using P13 just to make the Promo renders or adapting the materials so that they work for the future users of poser. 

What "essential scripts" are available for P11 regarding figure creation are you referring to here? Can you be specific?

I haven't needed to rig in P11 since the 2nd or 3rd (roughly) update to P12, and unless I'm specifically testing something I pretty much never even open P11 anymore. But I've never relied on scripts for rigging (or much of anything else) so the move away from python 2 was never an issue for me. I use D3D's PFE when I need to edit a cr2 and that is independent of any poser versions. Even with the additions to Poser's rigging it still works fine, so there's not a lot internally that has been changed that PFE can't read that I'm aware of. It seems most updates to the rigging functions since 11.1 have been in regards to joint and morph projections for clothing.

That said, there are script functionalities for rigging that I'd love to see incorporated into Poser but as far as I know they never existed in any 3rd party script regardless of python version. I think that if there were more tools added to Poser's rigging/figure creation directly within Poser we'd see a drastic reduction in the need for editing cr2s or relying on 3rd party scripts all together.

For example, I'd like to see a more robust implementation of joint projections, (including mirrored rigging) instead of the basic all-or-nothing approach we currently have. All that's possible to do currently is select which joints we want projected from a hierarchy. The ability to select which parameters of each joint we want projected would be a huge time saver, at least for me. Because I don't always want every parameter of each joint transferred. I may only want the maps on the X axis transferred for example, but leave the existing maps on Z and Y as they are. Or maybe I just want the scales copied and not the rotations. As it stand I have to do this sort of thing manually, one bone, one parameter/map at a time. And the only way to fully grasp how mind-numbingly tedious that is is to experience it for yourself.

The ability to copy individual limbs from an existing rig in the setup room would also be ideal, instead of having to use an entire rig and then delete and replace bones manually when I only need a certain portion.

*Better control over adjusting joint centers. For some reason they don't like to stay where you put them and will fly all over the place while trying to adjust. And unless you luck out and get them exactly where you need them in the setup room in the first try (which almost never happens) you're going to have to adjust them in the pose room while painting weights. Using front, side, etc., cameras can help but still doesn't fix the problem and those cameras don't always offer the best view. This is extremely frustrating and a sure way to turn people off from trying to create or modify their own content. The 'Lock end points' check box in the joint editor is helpful to some extent but still doesn't solve the problem.

*ERC/JCM mirror option, along with the rigging, especially when it's just transferring things like grasp and spread controls in a hand and don't require mirrored morphs. There's no reason I should have to spend hours doing the same thing on each side when Poser could include the option to.

*The ability to DELETE material zones from within Poser - likely via the grouping tool. They can be created and even modified, but they can't be removed. It's redonculous that I still have to go to blender or some other app just to remove a material zone at this stage of Poser's development.

*Add more Pose and Camera dots!!! 12 should be a minimum - 15 would be much better. 9 just isn't enough. I always run out of them and have to go back through and choose which older ones to replace. Maybe with an option for users to add additional ones if they want.

There are many more on my list but this is what I can think of at the moment.

If there are any pre-P12 scripts that provide any of these functions (and are still available somewhere) I'd love to hear about them.