Forum: Poser 13

Subject: how to create content

mickale opened this issue on Nov 13, 2023 ยท 12 posts

PoserWorld2019 posted Thu, 16 November 2023 at 9:00 AM

Great objective, creating content for Poser and DAZ Studio is fun and very rewarding, especially when the product is refined to the point its merchandisable in one of the many 3d content stores.  OK, this really needs to be a conversation so we can explore more specific objectives and goals and then hone in on the best techniques and tools  to get the job done.    Most generally speaking, 3d prop and figure development for DAZ and Poser starts in a 3d modeler of choice (Blender, ZBrush, 3DS MAX, Maya etc)  for figures or CAD/NURBS type software for hard man-made objects.   Big Tip:  Ultimate UnWrap3D by bolthouse is an affordable and essential utility that is a swiss army knife fixing all sorts of import and UV/Mesh/Rig challanges and usually its an in-between step between development applications in my 3d product development pipeline.   Importing the modeled Mesh and doing initial rigging and materials in Poser then exporting to DAZ is the way to go, rather than the reverse because you will face many more pitfalls and challanges with the unimesh rig used by DAZ.  For higest merchandisability in the Poser markets, do adhere to the standard Poser group names and parametric rigging rather than weightmap unimesh because its not supported in the large base of older version customers, and existing clothing / poses will not apply. Also its very easy to create a unimesh version from a grouped and parametric rigged figure, but the reverse is not as easy because the mesh will not be properly sub-diveded into (poly)groups.  So thats a pointer to how to proceed but there is far more to consider and I will PM some resources.

If merchandising content is a goal, then do realize each content store has its own product guidelines and specifications to meet thier standard of quality.  In general, the more expensive and professional the store, the higher the quality demand is.  I mention this because its a giant leap to produce for a smaller indepently operated store to a very polished store such as Renderosity and ultimately DAZ.  Other general 3d content stores like CG Trader Turbosquid have very few guidelines and restriction as each artist is basically independantly represented and unsupported.  RealLusion is kind of uniqie in that it incorporates 4 types of content stores each with its own level of product standards and artist support.  Again, the a general assumption can be made with regard to the artist/store revenue split, where the more structured and supported the artist and product are in merchandising and marketing, the lower the share of sales will go to the artist.  I will PM with some merchant resource and guidelines to get an idea of expectations by the various marketplaces.