Forum: Poser 13

Subject: AI as part of the Poser platform?

blackbonner opened this issue on Dec 25, 2023 ยท 53 posts

DeeceyArt posted Wed, 27 December 2023 at 4:22 PM

FVerbaas posted at 4:11 PM Wed, 27 December 2023 - #4479663

DeeceyArt posted at 2:43 PM Wed, 27 December 2023 - #4479660

Ah yeah, I see. When generating texture sets in Substance Painter, the wear and tear effects are generated from the normal maps, or by comparing a high res mesh to a low res mesh.

In the latter, all of the detail is sculpted into the high res mesh and then the normal, cavity, and roughness maps are generated by the differences. It's the cavity maps that control where the wear and tear appears, but the cavity maps typically aren't distributed, they are only used internally by Substance Painter. The diffuse, roughness, and normal maps are used to create the final fabric, which will respond correctly to light positions.

Very clever but it sounds like the modeler still has to model the effects, and some clever but non-intelligent procedure is applied to fake the texture based on the mesh. I was thinking AI to do one or two steps beyond that: 'I recognise this as a geometry representing a coat. Typical wear on an old coat is the collar and the cuffs. On the collar combined with grease from the hair, on the cuffs combined with whatever came about, so that's what I apply.' 

Yes and no. Sometimes you can up the subdivision level in ZBrush and get enough detail around the cuffs and collars, etc, to generate that cavity map, because it softtens the folds around those areas. 

As a matter of fact, I think you can create cavity and curvature maps in ZBrush too. Maybe you can take it into Poser and add some sort of wear and tear layer on a material, using the cavity map to drive where the worn areas appear. Never tried it, might work.