Forum: Poser 13

Subject: Poser 13 Observations

Badia01 opened this issue on Jan 03, 2024 ยท 21 posts

shvrdavid posted Fri, 05 January 2024 at 4:18 PM

Autodesk programs, Side Effects, Blender, and thousands of others programs suffer from FTH intervention too... Some oddly, even use it by default....... Some require exclusion from it to even function properly.... 

FTH is a Windows thing to prevent one program from affecting another, to stop it from crashing, doing odd calls due to hardware combo issues, etc... No program is immune to this, unless it is specifically listed in the exclusion list, FTH is turned off, or the program is hiding from it in plain sight... I don't recommend turning FTH fully off, under any circumstances. I say that, because Microsoft actually uses it.... 

Some programs apply a shim, to hide from FTH, and then don't tell you they did. Think of that as a way of hiding in plain sight. Just crashing to desktop here and there even if Windows may actually know how to prevent it from even happening...... Programs can crash, and then Windows doesn't apply a compatibility layer when it does...... It is not hard to figure out why, once you know a program can apply a shim and not tell you that it did............. FTH either didn't see what to fix, or a shim told it not to watch....

I have never had a released version of Poser flag FTH and write compatibility layers into the registry. Every ones mileage will vary on what programs, crash, flag FTH, and what doesn't. Simply because of the huge number of hardware combos out there, and system bugs on top of that.... So it is no surprise to me that it does randomly occur. I would rather know about it, than not. Or worse yet, have a program that tells Windows to ignore it so you never know it could be corrected..

FTH flags due to something in your system going wrong, that Windows knows how to fix. You can even look up why it did it in the event viewer.... That is, unless the program shimmed it, you turned it off, or it is in the exclusion list..... Then you just get a crash log.... Sometimes, and rarely, the fix doesn't work. That's just the way it is....

So ask yourself about all the programs that you have that have crashed and no FTH layer was set?. If Windows sees that it could correct that, FTH comes into play.... Usually the programs it applies something to were written for a prior operating system, but not always. It could be a hardware oddity it is trying to fix, or the program was already unstable for some other reason and did something odd. Which is usually what happened when the fix makes it worse.....

I currently have 3 programs listed in my FTH Layers, one is just a badly written license program for music software licenses, the others are Microsoft products, one installs FTH layers to itself, by default...

Some things are easy to explain, other things are not........ <- Store ->   <-Freebies->