Forum: 3D Modeling

Subject: Is there a thread on just materials, and editing/changing materials, not th

staigermanus opened this issue on Jan 14, 2024 ยท 7 posts

staigermanus posted Sun, 14 January 2024 at 12:54 PM

oh I know that if I make my own models, such as in Blender, Carrara or other tools, there will be a material editing section, a shader room or whatever it's called case by case. It's of course possible to make changes there in the native app where the model came from. Or even, say for example, if a model was saved as Wavefront .obj with .mtl materials, it can be re-imported in even other apps, and materials re-edited.

That is kind of what I have in mind, since in PD Howler we are starting to have PBR material capabilities. So whether I make my own model, or import one that was acquired, I imagine there are tutorials and tips/tricks focused on just the material props and how to edit them for various effects such as turning a clay surface into marble, with some reflection, or silver, golden, rusty,... and many other looks.

Maybe there hasn't been a focus on material props regardless of the apps. I was just thinking, since many artists use more than one tool, it might help to compare notes and techniques across applications, even share resources in some cases.