Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Post your Dawn renders here!

RedPhantom opened this issue on Sep 13, 2024 ยท 92 posts

Rhia474 posted Fri, 13 September 2024 at 5:07 PM

Okay. I hate to be the first.

But someone has to. Highly subjective thoughts below, some YAY and some not so yay. You will see a ton of artistic renders so it's imperative in my opinion that we see some stuff that is an impression of the 'this is how she looks when you unpack' experience for users.

I paid the introductory price for her base that includes basic textures and shapes ($17.97 USD), her Head and Body Shapes ($14.97--not used in the renders) and one pose pack (for $7.77) to pose her. That was $40.71 for no clothes, hair, extra textures or anything else, for those of you who keep track of such things.

Now. I am a Poser user, so this is a review of how she looks in Poser 13 Superfly. I'd love to see people post Firefly or DAZ to compare this way.

As I said I work  in Poser 13, the program this site carries, using Superfly. My renders below are all an unmodded Dawn 2 straight out of box with base textures, no morphing. I'm using the new HDRI system for Poser 13 also available on this site. In other words,  this is high quality HDRIs of either 4k or 8 k, no other light on scene. She comes natively unimesh, subdivided with 1 (aka, no fiddling with manually setting her). I left her subdivision again, as she came out of the box, on level 1.

My highly cranked-up render settings in Superfly.

First render:

Um.

Ummm.

What am I doing wrong here?

That hair does not fit her on the sides!! It has clipping like crazy at the temples! It is oddly fluffy on top the way no hair should be. Is this to do with the material settings on the hair?

Okay, on to the face skin texture as it ships with the figure: The lips are lovely, the eyelashes too. Nice natural eyebrows. The skin is...basic, but again, I wanted to have a render with nothing but the standard, not even makeup.

Here, closeup with that hair showing the non-fit again. The eye reflections are from the HDRI on screen as they should, that's great.

Now I did a closeup with a different HDRI, just in case. And look at that skin now. Utterly dry and looks like about a pound of powder was caked on. And still that hair clipping issue with the figure that hair was made for, with no morphs whatsoever.

Hand details. Absolutely great textures here (look at those fingernails!!)  fingers bend well. I adore that hand. That hand is the best I've seen in a long time. Well done. 

That elbow, though...

Feet, let's look at the feet. Lovely feet, correct ankle bones, great toes. Again, the textures show wonderfully.

Nudity flag for this one; arm and armpit and breast area. Collarbones, great collarbones! Basic breast shape, very versatile, texture is good for the aureole and nipple, shows great gradation. What is with that armpit, though?

I want to show the navel, because it's important to have a realistic navel you can shape and a texture that helps with that. Great job!

FInally, a full base render--the only thing I changed here was adding a genital shape from the morphs because that smooth nothing drove me crazy.

So I will mess with her during the weekend, but for now, a few things:

1. That hair needs serious fixing.

2. Skin is not HDRI Poser 13 ready as far as base skin on face.

3. base shape is great, has a lot of potential, so far bending is good.

A small kvetch:

The pose pack I purchased for her was not packaged suitably for installing with embedded installer (ie. with File-->Install from ZIP archive); it has nested folders which is fine if you install manually (you just drag and drop) but absolutely means you have to do it that way, because otherwise you look and look and look and then you realize that there is a Poser and a DAZ folder nested within your Runtime that contain another Runtime and...you know what I'm saying? package separately for DAZ and Poser and save some headache.

I think it's important that she gets dissected like this. I absolutely would love to open a discussion, as much as I am looking forward to playing with what I can get out of her.