Forum: Poser 13

Subject: Future of Poser

cappy3 opened this issue on Aug 21, 2024 ยท 41 posts

ssgbryan posted Sun, 22 September 2024 at 5:44 PM

blackbonner posted at 4:46 AM Sat, 24 August 2024 - #4488696

@jimros

Would you explain to me what do you mean by the notion that LaFemme is the Poser killer?
What's wrong with her?
I have made some free stuff for her, you can find here on Renderosity, including morphs.
She is a nice piece of geometry and it has been fun to work with.
I agree with you that we lack modern content for Poser.
As long as we complain and wait for Daz to do us a favor, the future of Poser is to migrate to Daz.
I'm 58 years old now and I spend almost 20 years with Poser.
I don't want to use Daz Studio, I tried and I didn't like the way it works, looks and feels.
So, seems to me that we have to build our own world in Poser, so to speak. 
You know what? The more I think about it, I will open a new thread to create a sort of wish-list of content we need in Poser.
Maybe you could do a list of things you want to use in Poser and I pick a thing or two, maybe someone else will do it too?
What do you think?

Much like communism, "better bending" was a red herring......

All of that nice geometry never translated into vendor support/content. From an end user perspective, neither of these figures brought anything to the table that we didn't already have.  LF & LH were built to address vendor issues with making content - remind me again how that worked out, as far as lots of new content coming out.

<Lots of angry ranting removed>

From an end user perspective, LF/LH is no different than any other post-V4 Poser figure.  If you are doing single image stills of girl pinup art, she is ok.  Move outside of that, and you will be spending more time converting legacy content for it's use than it was worth. After you have converted everything you plan on using, there isn't an incentive to spend money on new content.

LF & LH were the 1st meshes that I truly never cared about due to the lack of vendor support.  I have seen this movie too many times already.  SM put the Fitting Room into Poser for a reason - and that reason was lack of vendor support. 

If we build a new mesh, the vendors will come is the same failed strategy we have lived with since Poser 9.

Poser and that other program have completely different business models - yet the Poserverse keeps trying to use the other one.  Poser is a toolbox that allows us to use whatever we want. That other program is like a gatcha mobile game - always nickle and diming you, while never fixing the underlying problems with the software.

Most vendors only make what they are personally interested in, and many were very, very adverse to learning the new tools that are in Poser, which leads to a figure having no overall direction.  Rosity had the opportunity to address this with LF & LH, and they fumbled it about as badly as possible.

I would rather that 'Rosity work on improving the Fitting Room, and adding support for rendering with AMD graphics cards (via the Pro Render Engine - it is open source & they have a Cycles Plug-in).  Then as end users, we can use whatever we want.  Ken1171 has us covered with converting most DS content with his fine array of scripts. 

Shoes - get us a shoe converter, it is the last piece to becoming figure agnostic.

What I want to see is NORMAL clothing for my characters.  In it's lifespan, LF never got a week's worth of clothing that could be worn in an office environment.  Now realize that LH got about 10% of that.

The issue is, once I get going with the fitting room, there is less & less incentive for me to purchase content. 

With Poser 5, I could create anything I could imagine - with Poser 13, I can do pin up art - but not as well, nor as fast as I can in Stable Diffusion - for a lot less money, as well.