Forum: Poser Technical

Subject: Custom pose files to retain JP info

Kalypso opened this issue on Nov 05, 2001 ยท 33 posts

dwilmes posted Tue, 06 November 2001 at 3:02 PM

There are only tabs before the first word on any line in a Poser file except one -- it slips my mind which one, but it drove me nuts for a while, there are three tabs, then a single space, then the word/number. I suspect it was a slip of the programmer's finger that wasn't discovered until too late, because it is locked into all CR2/PZ3 files. On the other hand, it could be there as a marker for finding the info on that line in a hurry, Poser would scan lines and only have to parse each one until it came to a letter, then move to the next, until it found a space before a letter (or number). If it IS a marker, this illustrates the danger of not following formatting. I just remembered, its in the parent lines of the welds and par/child sections. CR2Edit doesn't use the trick of looking for a space because there are too many hacked files out there that may not follow the formatting. I've never tried leaving out the space, but if it IS a marker, leaving it out would either crash Poser or slow it down, since if there was an error handler it would have to re-parse the file to find the info the long way. CR2Edit does use a lot of tricks like this to speed things up, if it is working in the channels, say, and finds three tabs and a "}" it knows it's reached the end of the section and can immediately jump to the next part of the task. I have handling code to take care of most improperly formatted files, but these files are slower to work with -- which probably means they are slower in Poser, as well, since any programmer concerned with speed will use tricks like this, and remember that the Poser code for processing a file was written many years ago, long before anyone dreamed people would be making their own files. It really makes me wonder how many of the problems people have with Poser going slow and crashing have to do with "little" things like this. To tell if it is a tab or a space, just set your cursor at the start of a line and hit the right arrow key, it will move either one space if the hidden character is a space, or 5 if it is a tab. If you have to make a file by hand, or edit one for experimenting, just start with a Poser or CR2Edit-made one and follow that formatting, copy/cut/paste will preserve the tabs. This whole JNT file thing sure does look like a can of worms, for sure! Dan http://www.zenwareonline.com/cr2edit/cr2edit.html Sorry Win only for software http://www.zenwareonline.com for ZenPaint, ZenTile, ZenGrid and VueMaster