Forum: Community Center

Subject: MiCo Games accuses me of robbery!!!

JonVon opened this issue on Dec 06, 1999 ยท 15 posts

Freakachu posted Wed, 08 December 1999 at 10:48 AM

Sheezz--whatever happened to the good old days of Stayle Loseth and his attitude towards posting his original designs. The whole "Here's my contribution, feel free to modify it and give it back to the Poser community." If someone is going to get bunged up about how their creations are used, then maybe they shouldn't make them available to the general public. I read the "READ ME" enclosed in the archive, and if I feel that the uploader isn't quite ready to make their creation available without a load of strings attached, I usually pitch the item so I don't accidentally get snagged in a pissing match. I can understand the author of a particular work asking to retain certain rights if they make their creations available. Personally, in exchange for an item I've made available to the forum, I'd rather get an email letting me know that the item I've uploaded works, doesn't work, or is the greatest thing since Poser 3. I'd rather see a leaner FreeStuff page with items that don't have an encyclopedia of restrictions attached to them. I'd rather see someone thank me (via email) for an item, do something original with it, and make it their own. Seeing one of my props in a beautifully rendered scene is flattering enough. Being part of a contributor's list that reads like the end credits for The Phantom Menace seems to be rather penultimate. Maybe the final rendering is the result of other members of the Poser community, but it's kind of a pet peeve when the artist has to share the limelight for a vision that is purely his.