Forum: Poser Technical

Subject: Am I pushing Poser too far?

Devon opened this issue on Oct 22, 2001 ยท 21 posts

taliahad posted Sun, 11 November 2001 at 3:46 AM

Attached Link: http://virtualtoybox3d.com

OK, I just upgraded to w2k pro. And I've done quite a bit of research as a result, but basically 98se works best with only 64 meg. Even if you ad more ram like up to 96 meg total, 98se actually drops in performance by 20-40% because 98se does it's crunching via 'virtual memory', which if you know what you are doing, you can change somewhat in 98se. In w2k pro, the same deal, different numbers. 129 meg is the norm, unless you have 1000 or so employees hitting it up for internet and intranet mail duties and other apps being run from different locations. THEN you should 256meg!! So, I've had 512 meg on my computer all this time thinking that would help my P4 w/PPP, and my problem wasn't that I needed more ram. I needed to access more hard drive space, and much faster than I used to. w2k pro does that. I was able to change the size of virtual disk accessed from 768 meg (I think that was the number) to over 3gig. Now my renders are back to thier previously experienced huge files, with nice 1000x1000 anti-aliased renders. With an Athlon 550 it does this all quite well, but there is another discussion thats just started here mentioning having more horsepower in the cpu. That (DOH!)I had only vaguely thought about. That will be my next step. Upgrade to more cpu power with faster frontside bus speed. I don't claim to know everything by the way, but I sure as am learning. Anyway, as long as I've had PPP, it's only just now starting to open up to me because it finally has room in my system to maneuver.:-)