Forum: Bryce

Subject: A rendering question...

dancineyes opened this issue on Nov 14, 2001 ยท 8 posts

AgentSmith posted Wed, 14 November 2001 at 10:58 PM

What kind of clarity/quality are you talking about? The scene itself or even the .jpg compression? I almost always just render 800x600. But, the size of the render doesn't have an impact on clarity. Only if you are printing it out do you need to worry about dimensions or dpi. A few pointers may be that your walls have shadows but your floor does not, causing it to appear a little flat or sparse. In this case pretty much all 5 things touching the floor here could have shadows coming off them to break up the floor. At least the pillar, it almost has a floating look to it at the bottom. This can happen a lot. Also on the pillar; lighting pillars on the extreme sides and keeping the middle darker emphasizes it's roundness. I wouldn't add too much to the pillar you already have, it is the most dramatically lit object in your render, but it is slightly flat looking at the top. Play with the lighting, don't be afraid to make it dramatic. Experiment like you did in "Coming Into The World". I really like the second version of that one. Jpg compression; I looked at the properties of your pic and it says it was saved at 85%(105Kb), but your render here looks like it was compressed more than that. The artifacts (distortion) is evident throughout your pic, and especially in the mirror. How are you saving your renders? I suggest saving your render from Bryce as a .bmp (bitmap), then use another program to make the .jpg copy. I have mainly used a program called Thumbsplus to make my .jpg's but there is also a little free pic viewer I use and it seems to do very well also. It's called "IrfanView", available at www.irfanview.com. It has a option button attached to the "save as" window that will let you manipulate the .jpg compression rate. Either way, try different programs (there are quite a few)to save your .bmp to a .jpg to see if there is a difference. I think you can find something that will improve that aspect of your renders, especially at 85%, which is the average rate. Agent Smith

Contact Me | Gallery | Freestuff | IMDB Credits | Personal Site
"I want to be what I was when I wanted to be what I am now"