Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Just some thoughts....

rudipooimf opened this issue on Dec 17, 2001 ยท 31 posts

nfredman posted Mon, 17 December 2001 at 11:46 AM

Rudi, Peejay beat me to it. Starting a debate is a GOOD thing! We've certainly been, as a community, chewing over this free vs. vended thing for a while, and that's as it should be. The Marketplace serves some functions other than the obvious: The Marketplace seems to be some folks' first essays into the 'Net economy, and it's a nice sheltered way to do so, and gets your product right in front of the the people who want it--a HARD thing to do on the 'Net! i've looked into what it would cost me to vend independently, and that's about 22 to 25% of my list price, roughly. AND after that, i'd have to work like a dog to get it in front of the Poser users who would want it, with no guarentee of success whatsoever, AND i'd have to take care of all the fraud stuff & chargebacks. Given that Renderosity has operating costs and my time is also money, the 50% brokerage fee is not unreasonable. It's true that i went commercial in an attempt to recoup some of the time & money spent on this delicious hobby. Now, an alternative way to spin your challenge is that if one makes free samples of one's wares, thus providing some lagniappe to our customers, then Freestuff becomes a nice way to show generosity and get your name before people, marketing-wise. See how it works for DAZ! It is easy to get sucked into the "commercial goods only" frame of mind and not want to put out free stuff any more, as part of a fear of lost income, but we vendors must resist that fear, and view free stuff at least as an investment, if not something more cheery and fun. So, Rudi, i do market, but i also remember the old adage about "Giving back to the Net." It's just good practice. --Nan