Forum: Photography

Subject: Nightime shooting

lilmikee opened this issue on Dec 17, 2001 ยท 10 posts

JordyArt posted Wed, 19 December 2001 at 4:10 AM

I'm with yer on this one, limikee, it's the stumbling block I've hit on very recently trying to learn my manual functions. Unfortunately (if your camera is anything like mine) one of the best ideas of using a cable release is out, coz most digi's don't support that.... if yours has a remote-control available as an extra it'll be worth thinking about. Tripod=definite must. Failing that Visitors idea of a solid object is cool, but you may have problems if the subject is at any angle above or below..... The timer idea is what I use, coz I can set it at 2 seconds...useless if there is any unpredictable movement involved of course, eg. timing a car to be passing in 2 seconds....fun.... Finally, focussing - this is (I wish I could say was) my main problem too - on auto focus if it's too dark my camera automatically focuses at 2m... lot of good that is... and how do you focus on something in the dark with a digital if a) you can't see it coz it's too dark and b) the digital has a focusing ring without numbers that just adjusts the focus as you spin it around??? hmmm...... my solution? I've added a 500,000 candle power hand-held rechargeable lamp to my xmas list.... Use the lamp, focus on auto, switch to manual focus while it's still set, switch to manual settings and take photo... sounds long winded but should just take 1 or 2 seconds. In theory. Hope this epic novel helps....lol (",)