Forum: Photography

Subject: Photos of the wife...Please critique...

APFrey opened this issue on Jan 04, 2002 ยท 26 posts

APFrey posted Sat, 05 January 2002 at 8:27 AM

Alpha- I see what you're saying about overexposure, but I must say it was intentional. My biggest regret of these five is in #5 the eyes lost all detail. I could have used a reflector but then I would have lost the strength of the shadow. I had several shots where I didn't overexpose quite as much and they didn't work for me quite as well. Finder- As I said, I wasn't lashing back. I just like to let people know how I feel. That is the ultimate goal of an artist, is it not? Unfortunately, I guess one's photos don't always totally communicate the thoughts of the photographer. That is my downfall. I do not do my own darkroom work but I am all for custom work. It is important to get your prints the way you want them. You'd be surprised how much control a one hour photo has over your prints. But they have the responsibility to make your prints look how you want them too also. Wherever your prints are made, the bottom line is, make sure they come out like you want them to. IMO, a good custom lab SHOULD give you results just as good as what you can do in your own darkroom, you just have to communicate to them exactly what you are looking for. (Same with a one-hour lab for that matter) Enough rambling for me...I love black and white work and I get more excited about it with each roll I shoot. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me and I will do the best I can to answer them. You can do wonderful things with B&W and I encourage everyone to at least try it. For those that do not have there own studio, you don't have to worry about special lighting or halogen-balanced film. Ordinary household lamps can give you the effect you want and no one will ever know they are "yellow" lights. For those people that can't quite get exposure right, B&W has tremendous latitude. 5 to 7 stops versus 3 or 4 of color film. I'm rambling again. What can I say, photography excites me! Hope to hear from you Finder... Thanks again for the criticism...It's good stuff! Keep it coming! My wife aprreciates the compliments as well. She doesn't tend to believe me that I think she's attractive. I guess no wife believes their husband. Andrew