Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: 60 Gigs not enuff disk to render

mosfet303 opened this issue on Jan 06, 2002 ยท 18 posts

jval posted Sun, 06 January 2002 at 11:22 PM

Ron, I didn't know what you were talking about in respect to "first name" until I reread my post. My apologies. My experience is that Renderosity often times out on me when I post messages. Therefor I write my messages in notepad and then paste them into the Renderosity message box when done. I must not have copied my entire reply when copying to the clipboard. Normally I address to the displayed name, in your case I would have intended to say "ronknights". I will try to remember that you prefer "ron" but I have a notoriously poor memory. As for "doing the math" I had no way of knowing your numbers. You said only that it happened to you once with XP but failed to state how often it occured in w2k. My personal experience was never with w2k but frequently with XP so by my "math" I'd have to say it's an XP problem. In reality the problem may happen with both w2k and XP as XP is simply a refinement of w2k. The reason I never experienced failure with w2k is that my w2k virtual memory was already set at 288 megs. It seems that w2k/xp and Poser 4 may both use the same page file at the same time. If virtual memory is set too low it results in this error. This double paging effect does not seem to occur with previous win versions (me,98, 95) as they are fundamentally different at the internal program level. Several people here have stated that the problem went away upon rebooting. As this clears the page file contents it suggests that my analysis may be correct. Since my previous posting I decided to visit Curious Lab's web site to see if they had anything to say about this. I found that they have reached the same conlcusion that I did. Certainly I intended no insult towards you. I simply did not want people to conclude that they would have extreme difficulties with xp when the solution is probably a mere adjustment of virtual memory size. Today's operating systems and other software are so complex that even though 2 people may use the same software and hardware setups they may have very different experiences depending upon individual settings. This makes generalizations potentially misleading.