Forum: Photoshop

Subject: Watermaking a image

CG_artist opened this issue on Jan 06, 2002 ยท 13 posts

Beretta619 posted Wed, 09 January 2002 at 5:10 AM

Well, I suppose it would all depend on how you were selling the image.. I've seen plenty of artists sell images with anti-reproduction clauses. I.E., I can purchase the image, be the sole owner, show it to anyone I want, but not take it, generate a thousand copies, and sell those (or attempt to pass them off as mine) Taking a screenshot of a digitally watermarked image would include the watermark. (depending on the strength of the watermark of course) As I mentioned, many (including certain versions of digimarc (but not the one included in photoshop)) can even survive being printed out, and rescanned. I hope you haven't taken offense to my posts. My intention wasn't to contradict you, it was to simply explain digital watermarking the best I could. It is a technology that fascinates me. I'll be the first to admit that it certainly isn't appropriate for every situation, especially images that have large blocks of solid color or when you are doing work for hire. But of all the current technologies, it is probably the most versatile, and the great thing, is that if someone does steal your work, I seriously doubt they are going to check for a watermark, which means, you've got 'em nailed to the wall when it comes time to present evidence.