Forum: Photography

Subject: I've landed in B&W hell

Rork1973 opened this issue on Jan 09, 2002 ยท 14 posts

APFrey posted Thu, 10 January 2002 at 7:52 AM

Just so you know you CAN get some good results by using c-41 monochrome film, here's a panarama I shot using either konica or kodak monochrome. I can't remember which but it doesn't really matter because I've gotten similar results out of both films. I wanted to show you this one so you could see the fine grain with bright highlights, dark shadows, and plenty of midtones. If it were printed on B&W paper, you wouldn't know the difference between this and true B&W films. As I said, I use primarily tri-x and not monochrome c-41 but that is mostly because of the 7-stop latitude it gives me. Tri-x can handle about 2 stops of underexposure and 5 stops of overexposure. If I'm not mistaken, you'll only get about 3 total stops of latitude with monochrome. And tmax, though it is a decent film, will only give you 5 stops of latitude. You'll only capture highlights 5 stops brighter than the darkest detailed area. In English, tri-x is a great film for getting more detail out of extreme highlights and shadows and still maintain all your midtones. Make sense? I know it's a bit confusing. But anyway, this was shot with monochrome film and in this situation, monochrome film had everything I needed to get decent results. Andrew