Forum: Community Center

Subject: What was the C&D forum ?

dariop opened this issue on Jan 31, 2002 ยท 19 posts

SurfAce posted Tue, 05 February 2002 at 8:49 AM

I can agrea with saxon on two points: 1st, we are not all Americans. Remember that about 96% of the world population doesn't care about the American first amendement. 2nd, we are recreating C&D here, and it will always be recreated. People will complain and will debate, and will argue and get nasty and eventually will come to insults, on other forums, in the virtual tavern, or, if everything closes, in the artist galleries. It was much better to keep those fights in a limited part of the site than to let them spread around, out of control. So maybe it is not possible anymore to say to an artist "you're a complete asshole" when he makes a picture incitating to racial hate, sexual discrimination or genocide. That will mean that either those pictures will get deleted by omnipotent moderators, without any space to comment this decision (people will just get upset and leave the site), or that the site will be only an exchange zone for mutual compliments. It is already a lot this way. I used to send my pictures to a friend for comments, and he was systematicaly shooting them down in flames. It hurted, but it obliged me to improve them. Here people seem only to be scratching my back, expecting me to probably do the same, even when my pics are crap.(an American thing, I guess. If you are not saying that everything is SO perfect, then you're not a dynamic colaborator). I was having fun reading the C&D posts, and I could have used it myself anytime to vent if anything had pissed me off here, with the satisfaction of thinking "I have been heard". I don't think my rights have been violated, I think it is stupid to close a C&D forum because people used it for what it was created for. I also think that that forum was victim of a temporary crisis (pink poney stuff), and the wise solution would have been to let it die out by itself. Managing a crisis by trying to ignore it never solved any problem. The crisis is still there, it just became invisible, so more dangerous. It is like prohibiting alcool because alcoolism is bad. Our American friends here remember maybe the desastrous results of this ostrich's politic. Now what if a very good 3d artist begins to comment every pictures in the galleries saying really what he thinks about them, without fake kindness. Do we close the whole site?