Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: How fast is a P4 anyway ?

gstorme opened this issue on Feb 23, 2002 ยท 72 posts

PJF posted Sat, 23 February 2002 at 1:22 PM

Attached Link: http://www.extremetech.com/article/0,3396,apn=9&s=1005&a=5878&app=7&ap=8,00.asp

You'll have to forgive me if I don't believe a dual 1.7Ghz XEON setup will render this scene in a mere six seconds. I am reasonably cognizant of the specifications of the latest XEONs and the i860 chipset, and there is nothing about them that points to such an astonishing performance result with Poser. In the link above, you can see the results of a test with Lightwave 6.5 on a dual 1.7Ghz XEON against a single 1.7Ghz PIV (the new XEONs are essentially just PIVs with different packaging enabling dual processing and a few other niceties). As would be expected, the single PIV performed slightly better than the dual XEONs with Lightwave operating in single thread mode. With Lightwave operating in multi-thread mode, the dual XEONs are substantially faster - but still not quite twice as fast as the single PIV time. So, even with a program specifically designed to run on two processors, the best that can be expected is a time not quite half of that achieved on a single processor. If Poser was dual processor capable, a best result of around thirty seconds might be expected compared to the single PIV results given in this thread. As Poser is **not** multi processor capable, the actual result with dual XEONs will be slightly longer than with a single PIV, all else being equal. I've no idea where Jackson's six second result came from, but I do know that it didn't come from the capabilities of the Intel XEON processor. Nor two of them. (also note in the graphs how different graphics cards made no difference at all to the Lightwave render times)