Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: How fast is a P4 anyway ?

gstorme opened this issue on Feb 23, 2002 ยท 72 posts

mjtdevries posted Sat, 23 February 2002 at 2:33 PM

I agree with PJF. Poser CANNOT make use of the second processor. I tested that on my dual cpu system before I decided to buy a new single cpu system. Also this scene doesn't take much memory so that won't make much difference either. I've seen before that poser works faster on WinXP/Win2000 than on Win9x. Rendering in Poser doesn't make any use of the video card. BTW the dual Xeon guy didn't say if he enabled bump maps, texture maps and cast shadows. If you don't do all that I can get 10 seconds too. I highly doubt the 6s claim too. I have lots of experience with Xeon workstations and servers and a Xeon is NOT much faster than a normal processor. (about 12% in a best case scenario) My score is 39 seconds. AMD XP 1800+ 1 GB DDR Ram Windows2000 Prof. I did notice that the processor wasn't at 100% power during rendering. Also I have plenty of memory, but I still heard it do a few small things on the harddisk. I also think it would be a good idea to post the scene so that we all use exactly the same setup. Also noticed that rendering time was about the same with 144 dpi (forgot to check the resolution first time) You might want to post a more complex scene to the freebies section to get a better idea of what faster processors and more memory do in complex scenes that you normally use. Marc