Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: How fast is a P4 anyway ?

gstorme opened this issue on Feb 23, 2002 ยท 72 posts

Jim Burton posted Sat, 23 February 2002 at 3:22 PM

It would be intresting if sombody would put a PZ3 up in Freestuff and we could test it - just stock P4 stuff though, not everybody has everything. As I seem to be winning so far, or maybe second ;-) Let me say I also run my working partition (I have a Win98 one too) pretty lean and mean, I don't have a sound card installed, or wallpaper or a screensaver or just about amything at all. Some of that stuff probably doen't matter, some of it does take processor cycles, though. I also have one of those special-order-from-Germany cooling fans that Tom's Hardware likes, I doubt if that helps anything other than crashing, though. Damn AMDs are really hot chips, in more ways than one! Anyway, if sombody puts one up I'll also run it on my G3 Mac, if you want to see some really high numbers! I used to teach a course called "Computers in Design", one thing I did was have a crude batch of tests that were run in Photoshop, on whatever computers the students had access to, got some intresting results. Was amazing how slow the 68000 Macs were compaged to IBMs, for one thing. P.S. - as I'm sure we all know, Poser can't use dual processors.