Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: How fast is a P4 anyway ?

gstorme opened this issue on Feb 23, 2002 ยท 72 posts

mjtdevries posted Sun, 24 February 2002 at 8:20 AM

44 seconds. AMD XP 1800+, 1GB DDR RAM, 60GB IBM 60GXP. I noticed some interesting things. Creatings the shadow maps takes about 6 seconds. 100% CPU usage. The rest is then 38 seconds where CPU usage is not 100% anymore. It fluctuated between 80 and 50% with an average around 70%. During that time I hear the harddisk. It seems Poser is not only showing the rendered image on screen but also writing it on the harddisk. Jim, since you have exactly the same rendering time, I am very interested in the rest of your configuration. (HD type, partitions, FAT32 or NTFS etc) I'm suspecting the harddisk to be the bottleneck. My harddisk configuration is not the fastest possible because I have 10GB FAT32 partition (win9x) and then a 50GB NTFS partition on which I run Poser. Maybe it would be a little faster if located on that 10GB partition. (I've been thinking about installing w2k adv server on that partition so I might have some info on that later) I'll also look at defragmenting the drive. (first have to install a better defragger since the default one with w2k is pretty hopeless) Marc