Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Disturbing....quite frankly downright disturbing

gothgurl6669 opened this issue on Feb 25, 2002 ยท 68 posts

beav1 posted Mon, 25 February 2002 at 6:42 PM

If I might make just a comment as a newbie learner who reads the group and profits from all your comments, I wouldn't know about Morpheus or the ten other progs like it, just like I wouldn't have known about Napster if it weren't for my 16 yr old installing them without asking.(don't get me started on THAT) As a background, I've bought stuff here, at Daz, at Bbay....but.... I too downloaded a couple of zip files(see..they aren't all exes)...just out of curiousity and was amazed. I knew I couldn't use them, 'cause then I couldn't it post here...:) But I've noticed that in the past whenever some new person comes in and asks "where can I download this-or-that", you all roll your eyes, get huffy, and generally denegrate the asker to the point of them flaming and leaving.... I can tell you that when I 1st started reading the old Poser newsgroup, I was surprised by the attitude of the users about staying with totally legally obtained bought-and-paid-for stuff. I mean, compared to the general internet population on such things(Napster being the biggest example), they were nearly anal about it....or so I thought until it was explained to me. Once I realized that it was adherence to the creed that insured that there'd be a constant flow of new and exciting things it made sense to me. I guess what I'm trying to say is that these kids, or new Poser users of any age, have been weened on this file-sharing, and rather than taking the most "we're better than you, you rotten thief" tone with 'em, your community might be better served by someone patiently explaining to them that warez aren't condoned if they wanna belong here, and why... Just a thought... Oh....and I read in another thread something about "locking" or "shutting down" any thread on this topic. It seems to me that doing that is just hiding the ol' head in the sand...and no way to confront it. I think educating new users is the only hope. You can flame me for an honest comment if you want, but I didn't mean to insult anyone.....:))))))))))) Beav