Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: CPU Test - the results

Jim Burton opened this issue on Feb 26, 2002 · 74 posts

soulhuntre posted Fri, 29 March 2002 at 3:07 AM

Wow... I posted a long reply before but it looks like it got eaten. I'll recap it in shorter form :)

Basically you are incorrect from the information I have on both points. There are numerous sources that indicate that the primary requirement to benefit from the P4 is to recompile your code with a compiler that knows how to do it. In fact the folks at Discreet did exactly that to get the performance version of Max and saw a 5-30% increase off the bat.

Their results indicate that there has been NO performance decrease under other processors as a result of this change.

That about covers it. Recompile with an optimizing compiler. Doesn't seem like a big problem, and there is a version of the compiler for Linux that shows similar speed increases.

So, to recap for my points:

I have seen nothing that indicates that this is a nightmare of hand optimization in assembly. In fact all the information I have seen indicates that it is a simple compiler flag. Interestingly, not only is Max faster with the optimization, but more accurate (the internal format used now is 80 bits).

Personally, I am not concerned about the Athlons... I want everyone to be fast :) It's fine by me. But the P4 is not a bad chip and it has some advantages. Like most things in the tech world when teams of smart people attack a problem there are trade offs. For me, the P4 fits my uses better :)