Forum: Photography

Subject: Comprehensive Large Format Photography Primer Online

ASalina opened this issue on Apr 04, 2002 ยท 5 posts

nplus posted Thu, 04 April 2002 at 1:12 PM

Cool site... Be VERY careful when choosing a Graflex Super Speed Graphic, or similar "press camera". They are GREAT cameras IF they are in very good condition. But when they start to fall apart it goes very rapidly and can be next to impossible to use. (Stripped threads, bent clips, choppy focusing movements, etc.) I guess that goes for any camera though. I had one for a while, but then it crumbled. It wasn't really worth the time or money to fix it, so I just kept the lens and bought a "field" camera. I like the "field" type of camera better, they have a wider range of movements, and way more control than the really heavy press cameras. I think my graflex weighed around 6 lbs. My field camera weighs in at around 3-4 lbs. (both are 4x5's) either way I say you should go ahead and get into large format. It gets one to really slow down and concentrate on exposure and composition. really improving ones photography. (once you learn all the controls of course) Great time to learn the Zone System too.