Forum: Poser Technical

Subject: How do I change Poser's render directory?

Sherlock opened this issue on Apr 12, 2002 ยท 5 posts

taliahad posted Fri, 12 April 2002 at 1:15 PM

Here's where you may want to go online and verify some things before setting them, unless you have a way to make some quick backups of your sytemfiles and whatnots. Go to the control panel on your computer (assuming you are using w98/98se) and go to the 'systems icon (or applet, whatever the hell ya call it, double click to open it up and go to the 4th tab, titled 'Performance'. At the bottomright of that you will then see a button called 'virtual memory'. Click once to open, and you will see the hard drive that you have set for rendering. BUT!!!! This is the setting for ALL of what windows renders. Called 'virtual memory' it is how windows handles all of its large files, which is why so much confusion exists over 'how much ram to put in my computer for 3d'. You might actually be 100 times better off for your poser work if you use Norton Ghost or something that does exactly what it does, make an image of what is now your C drive and place that on the 80 gig drive and use IT as your new C drive. your old C drive can then be an extra drive for storing completed 3d work files, etc. But, here is the part nobody wants to hear. It doesn't take a lot of time to get this stuff down, but as a 3d artist, know how your system 'caches' files is important so you can tweak your own system to the max. I got fed up with blue screens and trashed hard drives so I went to a couple sites on dealing with settings. I have to go find them now in my favorites, but I cant do it at the moment. In a couple hours I will put the info and the urls up here. It actually becomes a lot of fun once you wrap your head around it.:-)