Forum: OT

Subject: removed comment

Max2100 opened this issue on Apr 16, 2002 ยท 46 posts

MikeJ posted Fri, 19 April 2002 at 6:12 AM

I don't think trolling and personal attacks should be grouped together here. You can easily have one without the other. "...trolling is when someone makes negative reference to YOU personally in a comment that should remain focused on your artwork." That comment would have been better, had the 'reference to YOU personally' part been left out. I could say, "Your picture SUCKS!", and in that I have not necessarily made any personal attack against you, though I have definitely trolled. I could say, "You're an idiot for doing this picture!", and I have made a personal attack against you, and not necessarily your artwork. Not really trolling in that case, IMHO. "This picture is very poorly done and in my opinion you are not showing any improvement that I can discern so may I suggest that you try another way to express your artistic yearnings such as paint by numbers kits?" I would call that trolling, yes, although it is sort of standing on the edge of the trolling line. It's not a persoanal attack, I don't think, not in the standard sense at least, and it does offer a suggestion which might very well be considered 'helpful'. However, the suggestion it makes is not in how to improve the picture in question, which should be the only focus at that immediate moment--that particular picture. Ergo, trolling. There can be other forms of trolling too. What if someone leaves a comment which consists of nothing but, "......" yet leaves a rasting of "1" on the picture? Trolling?