Forum: Challenge Arena

Subject: How about a story?

melanie opened this issue on Apr 13, 2002 ยท 67 posts

melanie posted Tue, 23 April 2002 at 8:15 PM

Portraits and still life images are every bit as much art as anything else. What brought this whole idea on was not so much a criticism of those types of images, but because someone had commented that there was a plethora of images that seemed to be just a single figure against a blank background, staring or glaring or smiling at the camera with no real thought put into it. It probably took them 10 minutes to pose and render. I think the idea they were trying to convey was to see more images with some action in them. Like a scene from a movie. Maybe "story" was the wrong term to use for this. Something with some business going on in it. People doing things, not just posing. Or in the case of non-Poser related images, something that gives the feeling of some situation taking place. I guess I probably didn't express it very well in the beginning of this challenge. An image of a city street with busy traffic and storefronts would be full of interest. Something that gives the sense of life, even if there aren't any people in it. This isn't really a contest as such, no prize or deadline, but just a call for some interesting compositions. So far, I'm seeing some fascinating things happening here. Melanie