Forum: Fractals

Subject: Pros and cons of post-processing

aartika opened this issue on May 09, 2002 ยท 27 posts

mdessureault posted Thu, 09 May 2002 at 5:21 AM

Tina, I used to p-p when I was fractalizing with Fractint or Stephen Ferguson's programs and I just started to do it again recently with Painter. And most of it is copy/paste/selections... My goal is not fractal purity but aesthetic. And what is fractal purity after all? Most of the computer graphics bitmap programs use fractal algorithms for their filters, brushes, etc. Anything that must look natural use fractal algorithms. As Audre says, you have to start big if you use bitmap images. You must foresee your biggest format when you start your image as you can reduce but you cannot enlarge. If you enlarge, some debasing artefacts like jaggies or white dots will be created in your image. So, if your foresee an image printed 20"x20" at 300DPI, you can calculate the number of pixels you will get for a layer in Painter, Photoshop, PSP, PhotoPaint, etc.. Estimate your calculation on a count of 4 bytes per pixel: three for each colour in RGB + one byte for alphachannels. However, many bitmap graphics formats allow compression or have compression schemes you'll be anaware of. So, images won't be so big. But, here I cannot give you useful information. Only vector/fractal generated graphics can be enlarged without loosing or debasing information as the images are directly based on mathematical formulas that are recalculated each time you change the dimension and resolution. Exemples of vector graphics programs would be Illustrator or Corel Draw. For fractal generator, well you know as me. Miche