Forum: Fractals

Subject: ?-Viewers' Responses = Your Own?-?

Rosemaryr opened this issue on May 21, 2002 ยท 19 posts

CavalierLady posted Thu, 23 May 2002 at 10:31 AM

Very interesting topic. As a newbie who has had UF for 30 days, and will be regestering it today, these forums are our only link to the world of other fractalers. I was thinking of posting some of my "better" ones, but hestitate after another thread discussed that some are not interested in just looking at more images.

I have posted several images at another email list I belong to, and I have had only a couple of comments to my images. I have noticed that there are half a dozen or so regulars who generally correspond frequently on each other's work, and many images are not commented on at all.

Surely, we all would like to receive some gratification for our work, that's only natural and very human. We know when we have created something that is "good". At the time I created something, I may think it is my best one yet. I might post it somewhere, and after receiving no comment, wonder to myself, well, maybe it was not that good, after all. And after a month, I can look back and see which images are better than others. Hopefully, we are learning and progressing as we explore new techniques, and delve for a while on certain types of images, color, and design. Often, feedback from others is the only way that we have of knowing if we are learning and creating artful images that others enjoy. I personally do not "know" anyone who has UF, so conversing via the internet, is the only way to learn. Having one's spouse or family member offer a compliment is, of course, nice. But having other fractalers who can offer suggestions and answer questions on how to accomplish a certain task, is the most helpful of all as we try to improve our skills. I am very grateful to the help that has been offered t me when I have been stumped on a problem.

I look at the web sites of the better known fractalers, and sigh deeply, thinking I will never achieve such beauty, and wonder if I should just forget this project. But after an hour or so, I am back at the computer because I just have to make another one. It is so addictive at this point. Perhaps after a while, it won't consume all my time and thoughts, lol. I have looked at other postings, and thought, no I just don't care for that one. We have a feel for what we like to create, and if I feel comfortable with an image, and I think it's my best one to date, then that, in itself, might be considered justification enough. I don't care for Picasso, but it's perfectly allright that millions of others do. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some climb Mt. Everest just because it is there. So it is with this art. If others can enjoy it, as well, so much the better. It is your and my artistic expression. And the polite little "pat on the back" comments do add a deeply gratitfying and satisfying "warm fuzzy" feeling, knowing that someone took more than just a passing glance at our work, understanding the time and effort that went into a piece, even if it is not a Rembrandt, or bronze statue. It nurtures us and encourages to continue.

Just my two cents. Thanks for reading. :)