Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Flattening and flattening figure photo to apply to texture template

kuroyume0161 opened this issue on May 28, 2002 ยท 9 posts

kuroyume0161 posted Wed, 29 May 2002 at 6:20 PM

I just had this weird idea. What if someone (maybe me, I'm a programmer after all, albeit not much in the full-blown apps area) were to make a program that took three sources and created the 2D texture mapping from them. You create a correspondence file between the P4Male object and its template (points, facets, whatever). Then, for instance, you take a frontal face photo, align a hidden-surface mesh view of P4Male to the face and save it as a 2D image, and have the program map the corresponding aligned-P4Male points/photo to the template points while unfolding the photo image to match the mapping. It may require the user to select just one set of correspondence points to fixate the mapping algorithm correctly (such as, this point in the 2D mesh image corresponds to this point in the template). Of course, to fill in the texture areas that are garbled by not being planar to the camera, several viewpoints will be required. Does this make sense to you? It would work similarly to PM Lite, but remove the need for setting up reference points as they will automatically be given by those between the P4Male object and the template. In other words, in PM you have to construct a 3D model so that it can reference faces and gather texture information. But Poser already has the appropriate (although approximate) models constructed, so it's just a matter of putting the images over the correct views. one difficulty would be removing shadows and highlights without affecting the skin texture, though this can be done in Photoshop with patience and know-how. Damn, now you have me thinking... Kuroyume

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Contact Me | Kuroyume's DevelopmentZone