Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Not Quite Real... why is that.....??

MAXseer opened this issue on Jun 05, 2002 ยท 24 posts

hauksdottir posted Wed, 05 June 2002 at 4:34 AM

Real people aren't perfect. Her face is symmetrical and frozen. Most folks twitch mouth corners and raise eyebrows and blink occasionally. Our eyes don't line up either since we usually have a dominant eye. to get the lady looking a bit more human, I'd have one eye just slightly wider open than the other, and raise one brow just a bit. I notice that you've done postwork on her nostrils (or found Traveler's morph). However, the whites of her eyes and teeth are both too bright and too flat. Shade the teeth a bit at each side so they don't look false. shade the eye whites a bit, too, and add a catchlight in each eye from the front-lighting. Now for the skin. Use a decent texture map (I think you are using a map because of the chalky lower lip). You might also use a bump map (but be restrained). Watch the size of the highlight so she doesn't look like plastic, but has a hint of healthy glow. I change the ambiant color for skin to a dark mauve, because black looks too dead (suitable for dungeon games and zombies, not red-blooded humans). Pose (notice that I'm working from miniscule to majiscule). Her neck looks elongated and twisted a bit much. It shouldn't be that prominent, even on a ballerina. I'd shorten it. The arm is also twisted back strangely (shouldn't cut through the mesh of her body like that). Move the arm forward enough to look natural. Right now it just looks painful... and the eye keeps coming back to it the same way a tongue probes a sore tooth. Finally, composition. This doesn't affect whether your model looks real, but it does affect whether she is even seen. The white guardpole stuck in her back is distracting, so move the model to cover it. The center of attention is the framed doorway. If your lady was a spy or a fugitive, this would be fine, but her body language indicates that she wants to be noticed. The background looks almost like a negative print (especially since the street lamp is dark), but I like the unrealistic coloring. Why don't you pick up some of that bright strangeness and use it in the spotlights on her? If her left edge was highlighted, it would help to integrate her into the scene and reveal her at the same time. You might even put some of that neon glow into the wispy ends of her hair. Hope that this helps. Carolly