Forum: Carrara

Subject: Caligari TrueSpace

rbjensen opened this issue on Jun 13, 2002 ยท 7 posts

rbjensen posted Fri, 14 June 2002 at 5:10 PM

Thanks for the replies. As for the texturing issue that EricofSD brings up, I think TS has a brush tool for painting directly onto the model. C2 does not -- it just has the polygon layers that you can put on the model. I doubt the TS brush tool is as powerful as deep paint, though. I do think that the C2 shader trees are quite powerful and easy to use, though often hard to grasp all that can be done. I have to agree with some of the responses. TS offers lots of capabilities, and for the price, seems to offer more than C2, but I have not gotten used to the TS interface. It looks nice, but I have a hard time getting used to it. I like the properties tray in C, where you can see all the numbers. I often manipulate objects by typing in rotations, coordinates, and dimensions. In TS, I did not see how to keep this stuff easily accessible. Also the C modeling rooms make it easy to model with exact coordinate values and dimensions. I also like the easy hierarchical access to everything in the sequencer tray and with shaders. Perhaps I have gotten too used to the C interface and hesitate to give it up for something that may be better. I think TS 5.2 is a great deal at $300 (cross grade) or $400, and it feels like a more professional tool (though it still seems to be a niche tool compared to LightWave, Cinema4D, 3DMax, etc). The images in the Caligari gallery are beautiful, which speaks to the tool and the artists that use it.