Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Interpretation of W coordinate in Daz's M2 & V2 UV's?

kuroyume0161 opened this issue on Jul 07, 2002 ยท 28 posts

ronstuff posted Sun, 07 July 2002 at 9:53 PM

Thanks guys for the info about Poser - it turns out to be just what I expected, but nice to have it confirmed. The reason I asked, is that I develop for 3D games, and when it comes to real-time rendering - game engines seem far more advanced than Poser (and even some of our 3D tools). For example, textures are loaded once to read them into memory and map to each polygon, but what is cached is ONLY the portion of the texture actually applied to a polygon. This saves a lot of memory and processing, and allows for separate textures at different resolutions, or single textures for everything of one resolution. Also, this is the way most video cards with 3D hardware acceleration are designed - to cache only the actual applied texture, not the whole map. By the way, to the best of my knowledge, there is nothing explicit in UV mapping that dictates whether it supports one or many different source maps - it's just a way of mapping/linking image data to a polygon (or group of polygons) - it differs from what you call "standard" mapping because it is polygon based, compared to being object based. I wouldn't call it a "trick" at all, and certainly not a just the "Poser approach" - it is a more accurate form of mapping that has been brought about by improved technology, and is generally superior to clunky old object/material mapping.