Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Interpretation of W coordinate in Daz's M2 & V2 UV's?

kuroyume0161 opened this issue on Jul 07, 2002 ยท 28 posts

kuroyume0161 posted Sun, 07 July 2002 at 10:24 PM

Alright, from what Nance and darkphoenix are saying, the W in these files is inconsequential (for all we know, anyway) and the UV's for the head and body still fill out an entire UV space, but that space is 'tiled' or partitioned into separate files for ease of use (by Poser in this instance). Is that the idea? If it is, then I still have to ask how my app can go about determining the partition. The application loads an image (ideally, a photo of a person) and a figure geometry (.obj file). After the user matches the two, it will produce a texture map of the covered parts of the image to fit the texture vertices. IOW, the image will be pseudo-unwrapped onto the UV plane. For simplicity, I could have the user split the texture map image into its respective images for Poser, but I'd rather that it produce the texture maps in as many files and correct partitions as Poser would expect for the geometry used. I guess the crux of this confusion is how Poser knows that a Daz body texture map only maps to the body and not to the entire figure incorrectly (since, by default, a texture map image covers the UV space, in at least one dimension). It couldn't possibly know the offset in UV space to begin the offset map-section without it being mentioned someplace. As you said, Nance, the obj file knowns nothing about the UV space partitioning. As a matter of fact, the fact that the skin is divided in the materials as Skin Head and Skin Body reveals this. Pulling this and what Ajax has just said, it appears that the missing link resides within the material assignments. The question may be, "Where are they?" I believe this information would reside in the CR2 file; but they are huge files. Even Word on a dual 733MHz CPU and 768MB RAM is sucking wind with these files. Methinks it's going to require some deep study of the CR2 layout for precision in finding them. :( Kuroyume - a needle in a haystack ne'er looked as good a proposition.

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Contact Me | Kuroyume's DevelopmentZone