Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Interpretation of W coordinate in Daz's M2 & V2 UV's?

kuroyume0161 opened this issue on Jul 07, 2002 ยท 28 posts

Ajax posted Sun, 07 July 2002 at 10:29 PM

Ronstuff, Not sure what you mean by that last paragraph. Within the Poser context, each material can have only one texture (unless you count bump maps and transmaps). I'm not sure what you mean by a "standard mapping" or "object based". I've only been talking about UV mappings, not other types. It's just a question of whether you use an approach that makes each material occupy most (or all) of UV space (the traditional approach) or an approach that arranges all materials in non overlapping parts of UV space (an approach that I tend to think of as the "Poser approach" mosty because it's so vastly overused in the Poser community). There is no technological difference between the two. They use exactly the same technology. They are also both equally accurate. When you would use which approach really depends on what you're trying to do. If you're making a specific character for a movie or game, it makes sense to put everything on one texture because then it's easy to keep the character looking the same in every scene, no matter which animator is doing that scene. It's a convenience. If you're making a model that you want to look different every time (eg some environment models for games or just about anything for Poser) then it makes sense to put different parts on different textures so you can play mix'n'match, changing the texture of the columns and walls in a building while keeping the floor the same, or changing Vicki's eyes and lips etc. A lot of Poser models that were done with the "Poser approach" would have been a lot easier to customise if they'd been done with the "traditional approach". Changing the subject a little, Poser has in the past only allowed UV mapping. Judging by the pics kupa posted, it looks to me like Poser 5 will at last allow other mapping approaches, similar to the range of options available in Bryce perhaps. For architectural models, that could be very useful.

View Ajax's Gallery - View Ajax's Freestuff - View Ajax's Store - Send Ajax a message