Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Interpretation of W coordinate in Daz's M2 & V2 UV's?

kuroyume0161 opened this issue on Jul 07, 2002 ยท 28 posts

Ajax posted Sun, 07 July 2002 at 11:06 PM

"I guess the crux of this confusion is how Poser knows that a Daz body texture map only maps to the body and not to the entire figure " Poser doesn't know anything about it. The user simply tells Poser which materials should draw on which textures. And the body texture maps to anything you want it to. It's just a picture. There is no partition of UV space, it's just that some materials have been mapped in such a way that they don't overlap others, so you can (but don't have to) tell them to use the same texture. There's nothing in the obj that would tell you how those materials are grouped. That bit only exists in the heads of human users. The best you could do is check which materials overlap each other by comparing their UV coords. It wouldn't be a complete solution though, because there are undoubtedly some materials on the body map that don't overlap with some materials on the head map. The program would think they belonged on the same map because they don't overlap, but it would be mistaken. The material assignments can be anything and will vary from one copy of a figure to another. Most (but not all) Vicki characters would follow the two map setup that DAZ designed Vicki to use. Some would have extra maps for nails, eyes, lips etc. A very few might only use one map if they're trying for some unusual look (like basket weave skin or brick skin or leaves or something). Some would have no maps at all. The material assigments are easy to find in the cr2. They're right at the end. You'll see that each material has a separate texture reference of it's own. While you could set your program to check which materials are calling the same texture, unless you control which cr2 the user loads you don't really have any control over the conclusions your program comes to. My suggestion would be to hard code a Vicki setup that recognises the Vicki model and sorts the materials into the groups DAZ intended them go in. You would also need a Mike setup, a Steph setup etc if you chose to go that route. UV mapper has the ability to assign materials to "regions" and store that info in the model(each region being a group of materials that belong on the same map - but again the user decides how to do that, not the program). I'm not sure if that's a standard part of obj file language. I do know that not every model makes use of it. Whether the Millenium models were set up with regions, I couldn't tell you. It would be worth checking out, because if they do have regions, that would be a complete solution to your problem.

View Ajax's Gallery - View Ajax's Freestuff - View Ajax's Store - Send Ajax a message