Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Interpretation of W coordinate in Daz's M2 & V2 UV's?

kuroyume0161 opened this issue on Jul 07, 2002 ยท 28 posts

Ajax posted Mon, 08 July 2002 at 10:17 PM

Ronstuff, I think we're talking at cross purposes here. I haven't said anything about differences between Poser and other programs. I have only been talking about Poser. One thing I did say is that Poser users tend to follow a certain philosophy of UV mapping more than users of other programs do. It's a difference in the users and their philosophies, not in the programs. Believe me, I do know and understand the differences between different types of mapping. However, apart from a couple of passing references, I haven't talked about different types of mapping. In my disscussions in this thread I've only talked about the difference between two different philosophies of UV mapping. They're both UV mapping. They both use the same technology and are processed in exactly the same way. The difference between them is in the approach taken by the person creating the mapping, not in the code that processes it. I think you may have misinterpreted me to be saying something about UV mapping versus some other type (such as object space mapping, or world space mapping). I'm not. I'm ONLY talking about UV mapping. I'm just talking about differnt ways of using it. I think I also misinterpreted something you said earlier. That final paragraph in post 12 confused me because it clearly refers to something I had said previously but whereas I had been talking and thinking exclusively about UV mapping, on rereading I can see that in that paragraph you're talking about object space mapping. The reference to my earlier comments threw me off in my interpretation of what you were saying. I never said there was anything unique to Poser about these two approaches to UV mapping that I've been talking about. I just said that I tend to think of the "everything on one texture" approach as the "Poser approach" because people creating models for Poser often do it even when it would make more sense to tackle their UV mapping according to the other philosophy. As you've pointed out, the all-on-one-texture approach makes a lot of sense for human figures. On the other hand it makes very little sense for architectural models. Yet, within the Poser community you very often see architectural models that use the all-on-one-texture approach even though they don't need to. The maker could just as easily have assigned a different texture to each material and made their UV mappings with that in mind. I also didn't say anything about wishing Poser didn't use UV mapping. I simply said that it looks like Poser 5 will introduce more options and I think that's a good thing. Sorry about the long post. I just hate misunderstandings. I'm hoping we can clear up this one.

View Ajax's Gallery - View Ajax's Freestuff - View Ajax's Store - Send Ajax a message