Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Interpretation of W coordinate in Daz's M2 & V2 UV's?

kuroyume0161 opened this issue on Jul 07, 2002 ยท 28 posts

Spanki posted Tue, 09 July 2002 at 1:41 PM

Oh, just to clear up something else.. ronstuff, you said: "So where does that THIRD piece of information in UV mapping come from? It is the "method" used to map any group of vertices (Planar XY, PlanarYZ, spherical cylindrical etc), and it can be stored with each vertex OR for a whole group of vertices in one reference, but don't confuse this with the "W" coordinate as that is something else (a 4th dimension, if you will - and it is sometimes used to describe "layers"). Some programs store this 3rd piece of UV location information (not the W value) with the NORMALS and some store it with the vertices, but it is always there somewhere, or the map just can't be applied with just the UV coordinates alone." ...I may be misreading that, but in fact, from an application's point of view, there is no 3rd piece of UV location information needed. The UV coordinates describe (translate) the 3-d vertex into a 2-d bitmap location... once I have a UV coordinate, I have all I need to texture that vertex. Of course for computational purposes, there may be a third piece needed to 'create' that UV coordinate, but once the UV coordinate has been created, that third piece of data is not written to the file anywhere... it's no longer needed. I hope this makes sense...

Cinema4D Plugins (Home of Riptide, Riptide Pro, Undertow, Morph Mill, KyamaSlide and I/Ogre plugins) Poser products Freelance Modelling, Poser Rigging, UV-mapping work for hire.