Forum: Carrara

Subject: GI w/Anything Grows

HARBINGER-3D opened this issue on Jul 09, 2002 ยท 10 posts

ewinemiller posted Wed, 10 July 2002 at 9:58 AM

harbringer, One thing you might want to test before bundling it up is if it's really hung or just working hard. GI and high polygon counts don't play well with each other and grows does generate some high poly counts. The way to check is do this: when you are on a spot that seems to be hung, make sure your zoom mode is at 100% and then walk away for a half hour or so. Come back and resize the window with the rendering image. If it's still working, you'll see little blocks fill in with image, even if the big blocks aren't fully complete yet. The reason I ask for you to check is because I got caught by the same thing. I have one scene takes about 30secs with the ray tracers, but under GI takes about 24 hours. It's got a few high resolution grooves objects and a couple of grows objects. At first I thought it was hanging at about the 8 hour mark, but when I did the resize test, I could see it was still working, just very slowly. GI chokes on lots of polygons. Thanks, Eric Winemiller Digital Carvers Guild Freeware and commercial 3D extensions http://digitalcarversguild.com

Eric Winemiller
Digital Carvers Guild
Carrara and LightWave plug-ins