Forum: Poser Python Scripting

Subject: Poser Python Tutorials to get up to speed?

kuroyume0161 opened this issue on Jul 12, 2002 ยท 13 posts

kuroyume0161 posted Fri, 12 July 2002 at 6:12 PM

While agree that it looks easy to learn, there are a few idiosyncracies that I want to get used to (such as Dictionaries and Python's particular flavor of exception handling, for example). And, yes, there's hardly anything missing from it! Python looks a lot like Java in its implementation (classes, objects, methods, API imports, GUI support, threads, and so on). When I start getting strange errors from the interpreter, though, it will be good to know why they are occurring and how to correct them without an overabundance of wasted time. Java is also pretty easy, but to get to the real heart of the APIs, especially for application programming, you need the API references (as will be a good thing for Python). But you also need to know how to correctly use them. Thus, in the case of Java, I have about 12 books (3 reference, 3 general, 1 AWT, 1 Swing, 2 2D Graphics, 1 Java3D, and 1 Java Advanced Imaging) to achieve this. Without these, the support application that I'm currently writing for Poser 4 would be on the scrap heap. Nevertheless, it'll be fun to learn and I'm not expecting too much difficulty in that. Already enjoyed the "bulgeActor" script. I'm just one of those people who has to know everything in order to do whatever I want. Damned selfish of me, huh? :) BTW, Bushi, thanks for the book list. I have them saved for later reference. Kuroyume

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Contact Me | Kuroyume's DevelopmentZone