Forum: Community Center

Subject: Harassment

Blooddoll opened this issue on Jul 13, 2002 ยท 203 posts

cooler posted Sun, 14 July 2002 at 11:30 AM

time out for a moment to correct some false information... Blooddoll the claim that 'If I change something 10%, 50%, 90% I now own it' is an urban myth. I refer you to the FAQ section (quoted below) of the website for the US Copyright Office (http://www.copyright.gov/faq.html#q49) "49.How much do I have to change in order to claim copyright in someone else's work?... Only the owner of copyright in a work has the right to prepare, or to authorize someone else to create a new version of that work. Accordingly, you cannot claim copyright to another's work, no matter how much you change it, unless you have the owner's consent. See Circular 14." umblefugly... I have no idea why you posted the disclaimer from the 'Backup CD' section of the webpage but it has more holes in it than a chunk of Swiss cheese. The two laws referred to (PL 83-703 and 99-474) and the Internet Privacy Act do exist, however they are designed to protect PRIVATE servers from unwarranted intrusion. Since this is (or was) a publicly accessable website it is specifically exempted. Bobbie25... Under US copyright law anyone who provides 'a means for digital transmission of infringing material' can be held liable for damages. The fact that you knew or didn't know the material was there does not exempt you from possible legal action. In this case it seems that access to the material has been removed in a timely manner & under the terms of the Digital Millenium Copyright Act (DMCA) you are safe from prosecution. okay everyone... back to the witch hunt, which is already in progress :-)